The GOP and Evolution

04 May 2007

At the Republican debate last night, the moderator asked if any of the ten candidates did not believe in evolution. Three of the ten(Brownback, Tancredo and Huckabee) raised their hands.

Just to flesh things out a bit, let's see what these guys have had to say about the topic in the past:

Sam Brownback:

  • "it is impossible to observe macro-evolution, it is scientific assumption"
    -Speaking in support of the Santorum amendment (at S6152) which would have teachers present objections to evolution whenever it is taught in science classes
Mike Huckabee:
  • "I think that students also should be given exposure to the theories not only of evolution but to the basis of those who believe in creationism."
    -Arkansans Ask
  • "I think schools also ought to be fair to all views. Because, frankly, Darwinism is not an established scientific fact. It is a theory of evolution, that’s why it’s called the theory of evolution. And I think that what I’d be concerned with is that it should be taught as one of the views that’s held by people."
    -Arkansans Ask
  • "I do not necessarily buy into the traditional Darwinian theory, personally."
    -Arkansans Ask
  • "If you want to believe that you and your family came from apes, I'll accept that....I believe there was a creative process.''
    -Associated Press

No comments: