McCain Doesn't Know If Mormons Are Christians

04 October 2007

Presidential hopeful John McCain (R-AZ) recently attempted to do some damage control after making remarks that America is a "Christian nation," and that he is less inclined to vote for non-Christians. But once again, McCain has just embarrassed himself. One reporter asked McCain if he considers Mormons to be Christians. McCain replied:

"I don't know. I respect their faith. I've never frankly looked at the Mormon religion."

Are you serious? That seems like a bizarre oversight for someone who says things like this:
"I think the number one issue people should make [in the] selection of the President of the United States is, 'Will this person carry on in the Judeo Christian principled tradition that has made this nation the greatest experiment in the history of mankind?' "

All in all, I think it seems more likely that McCain is just dancing around the issue to placate the evangelical base. That would also help to explain why McCain says he doesn't know whether or not contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV. I mean, he can't be that stupid, can he?

No comments: