Tucker Carlson: Totally Not Gay

29 August 2007


Gay Senator Larry Craig (R-ID) recently had the following to say about an incident in which he solicited sex from an undercover male officer in a public restroom: "I am not gay."

Conservative pundits Tucker Carlson and Joe Scarborough both weighed in on MSNBC Live yesterday:

TUCKER: Let me be clear, Dan. I am not gay.
SCARBOROUGH: Let me just say for the record, I am not gay, either.


With those formalities out of the way, Tucker then had this bizzare comment:
"I'm not anti-gay in the slightest, but that's really common [soliciting sex in a public restroom], and the gay rights groups ought to disavow that kind of crap because, you know, that actually does bother people who didn‘t ask for being bothered."

Funny. I've never heard them avow that kind of conduct, either. Why the hell should "gay rights groups" denounce something that is so obviously bothersome and creepy?

But what makes this particular segment disturbing is how Tucker Carlson reacted to a similar incident himself ("I got bothered in Georgetown"). Rather than dealing with this maturely, Carlson did this:
ABRAMS: What did you do, by the way? What did you do when he did that? We got to know.

TUCKER: I went back with someone I knew and grabbed the guy by the—you know, and grabbed him, and—and...

ABRAMS: And did what?

TUCKER: Hit him against the stall with his head, actually!

(LAUGHTER)

TUCKER: And then the cops came and arrested him. But let me say, I'm the least anti-gay right-winger you‘ll ever meet...

(LAUGHTER)



So there you have it. Tucker Carlson: Definitely Not Gay. But he's not anti-gay, either. He just thinks that gay people in general "ought to disavow this kind of crap," and once beat the hell out of a guy for making sexual advances on him.

1 comment:

Samuel Brainsample said...

UPDATE
Tucker Carlson issued the following statement to Media Matters:

Let me be clear about an incident I referred to on MSNBC last night: In the mid-1980s, while I was a high school student, a man physically grabbed me in a men's room in Washington, DC. I yelled, pulled away from him and ran out of the room. Twenty-five minutes later, a friend of mine and I returned to the men's room. The man was still there, presumably waiting to do to someone else what he had done to me. My friend and I seized the man and held him until a security guard arrived.

Several bloggers have characterized this is a sort of gay bashing. That's absurd, and an insult to anybody who has fought back against an unsolicited sexual attack. I wasn't angry with the man because he was gay. I was angry because he assaulted me.